Monday, December 30, 2002

Winter Update

Hello, All. Christmas has come and gone, and you all have spoiled me rotten. Not only did I get lots of great loot (sometimes twice), my best friend's baby decided to be born on Christmas Eve. Imagine that. Awfully sporting to come out and meet me while I was in town. For those of you I didn't call in breathless excitement, here are the baby's stats. There should be pictures on our web site soon.

Name: William Alistair
TOB: 4:41 p.m.
Weight: 8 lbs 14 oz
Length: 21"

I can't believe how fast my vacation went. The holidays are always such a blur now that we're in Cleveland. Amazingly, we managed to set aside time for everyone, including our friends. Thursday night we met up with Ms. Amanda for Mad Mex eats and margaritas. Mmmmm. Margaritas. Then it was off to Uncle Jimmy's to meet Ms. Krista and Mr. Larry for pitchers and pool. A round of beer for five of us cost $10. Ah, good ol' Uncle Jimmy. Just when we thought it was time to turn in, we got a call from the elusive Mr. Sill to meet us at the Upstage. Yes, the Upstage has reopened for the umpteenth time. It has returned to much of it's former glory, with DJ EZ Lou spinning and the cheap well drinks flowing (and glowing). I got to dance to Echo and the Bunnymen. Bliss.

My 10th year high school reunion came and went, and I've written nary a word about it. Despite some requisite ackwardness and false sentiment (THINK: a girl I barely knew from an art survey class freshman year saying, "How arrrre you? Are you still doing the art thing? You were always so good at it!") I saw quite a few people there I actually wanted to see and had a couple of really nice conversations. Plus there was an open bar. Can't beat that. Oh, and I got hit on quite thoroughly by one gentleman whose yearbook I evidently inscribed with "Really love your peaches want to shake your tree." Now I was probably just humming that Steve Miller ditty in my head and it came out onto the page, but it appears he read more into it. I ran into a bunch of my husband's ex-girlfriends/romantic interests who all seemed shocked? intrigued? appalled? that I married him. He was evidently a much different person that last year of high school and subsequent college years than I remembered/witnessed. Perhaps we'll all read him memoirs in the future, "The Dark, Dark World of Richard N." Amanda and I will co-edit.

New Year's is around the corner and you're probably all wondering what fantastic coctail I've developed for upcoming festivities. Not a one. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to New Year's. I like the champagna. Maybe I'll get some creme de cassis and make Kir Royales (without cheese). I had my first Kir Royale at a cafe in Paris, toasting the life of my maternal grandmother. Sounds all too romantic and International Coffee, but I assure you it's true.

I am for sure making a Bailey's Irish Cream Cheesecake. Here's the recipe I found courtesy Flora's Recipe Hideout. And of course I'm making, pork, sauerkraut, and kielbasa. That's a family recipe and you can't have it. ;p

Do I have any resolutions? Just to improve my overall health (after I indulge in the pork and cheesecake). Many of you already know that Rick and I are planning to start a family in early June. (And if you didn't know that, SURPRISE!) Trying to get down to my fighting weight, or at least my "preparing to squeeze a watermelon out of my body" weight. Rick helped me set up a little gym area in the apartment with my new treadmill (yeah!) and my yoga stuff. Went to the doctor today to get a pre-pre-natal check-up. Just to see if I need any maintenance (oil change, tire rotation) before conception. They are real big on the 12+ month pregnancy. Not that you carry the baby that long (I am not an elephant), but they like to make sure you're in optimal health before you conceive. So that's exciting.

Any major disappointments? I found out recently that Aylesbury, England is the home to the Roald Dahl Children's Gallery. Rick and I were in Aylesbury visiting an old pen pal of mine during our honeymoon. Roald Dahl is one of my favorite authors ever. We were there and we didn't go. I am utterly flattened. Ah, well. A reason to go back, I suppose.

Safe and happy New Year, ya'll.






No comments: