Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Happy Thing
The other day Rick and I were walking around Squirrel Hill and a lady stopped us. She was standing by a parking meter with a look of helplessness on her face. Jaded as I am, I figured this was the best orchestrated ploy to scam a quarter in the history of panhandlers. But I was wrong.

Lady: Excuse me, can you help me?
Me: Yeah? (Wary. We both stop, our heads turned toward her, our bodies turned toward our original direction, ready to make a quick escape to comfort.)
Lady: I was wondering if you could help me. I just had my nails done and I need to put a quarter in the meter. They're still wet. Can you get one out of my wallet for me? (Lady hands me her purse. I look at her, try to hide my amazement and relief, and pull her wallet out of her purse. )
Me: In here? ( I flip past wads of cash and her multiple credit cards and unzip the change pocket to her wallet.)
Lady: Yeah that's the one. Just put the quarter in my hand.
Me: OK. (I do what she asks and rezip the change pocket. I place the wallet back in her purse.)
Me: Your nails look nice, where did you get them done? (We briefly discuss prices of French manicures and then part ways.)

Only in Pittsburgh.

Other Happy Things
-- I found a 1943 silver Mercury dime at work on Monday. It's neat.
-- Rick started making music again.
-- My friend Amy sent me a box full of clothes on the very day I was lamenting over having nothing to wear. (Of course, that could be ANY day.)
-- My ankle feels much better.
-- Networkig attempts thusfar have been moderately successful. (I had to buy a new book to keep new names and appointments straight.)
-- Eno's new game involves us throwing the shaky ball down the stairs, which she will sometimes retrieve. She prefers when you walk all the way down the stairs and throw it back up. (Repeat as necessary.)
-- Casper is very regal.
-- We've had some very cool electrical storms this July. And some very dramatic near misses.
-- I found a parking meter in Pittsburgh that only charges $.25 for one hour. (It's great as long as I don't have wet nails.)




No comments: