Tuesday, April 22, 2003

My Husband, the Quotable Nicol

"I'm not 14 anymore. I no longer base my life decisions on song lyrics" --R.N.

Yes, Dear, but Morrissey says:

But don't forget the songs
That made you cry
And the songs that saved your life
Yes, you're older now
And you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you

--Rubber Ring, Louder Than Bombs

I'm most inclined to adopt Rick's philosophy these days, although The Smiths and Morrissey's solo discography were the soundtrack for the majority of my adolescence. My remarkably adolescent reasoning is that 1) Rick has never (yet) broken my heart and 2) Rick has never (and better not) stood me up. The Smiths broke my heart by being defunct by the time I discovered how soon now actually was. And Morrissey stood me up twice in high school, canceling both the Viva Hate and Bona Drag shows at the last minute. Damn you, Steven Patrick. What did you have against Pittsburgh? Too like Manchester? (So much to answer for.)


Lesley-Anne With Your Pretty White Beads
I was in Philly again last week for work. This time for four days, training a new employee and generally helping out after another ugly turnover. Thankfully the weather was very nice, at least for part of the week, so I was able to tool around town. Went out for drinks and, oddly, Swedish meatballs at an Irish pub. Also visited the Degas and the Dance exhibit at the Museum of Art. Got to see the Little Dancer in person--pretty amazing. I remember standing like that at 14, perhaps not in a tutu, but with the same hauty confidence.

Hindley Waits
My favorite author seems to visiting all cities but mine. *sigh* Stood up again. One of the kids in our Portland office tells me he's going to go the Chabon lecture at Clackamas and asked me if I had any requests. I said: "Ask him to leave his wife and come live with me as my concubine. If that doesn't fly, ask for an autograph." Rick seems slightly peeved that I have a crush on an author. I related it to his crush on Fionna Apple. "But I loved her voice!" he protested. Yes, Dear. Me too.

I'm Tired and I Want to Go to Bed
Good night. Not tired? Play with this.

No comments: